This course provides an overview of the issues and code provisions associated with tall or â€śdesignedâ€ť walls. This course also includes a review of how engineered wood lumber, which is also referred to as EWP, are ideal products for tall wall applications due to their strength, stiffness, and dimensional stability.
- Learn what a tall wall is, how they are differentiated in the codes, and how that affects their design
- Understand the key issues surrounding tall walls and the procedures used in the design of them
- Learn why tall wall design is complex and why deflection plays a key role in their design
- Review the key differences in studs, king-posts, and in-wall columns
- Identify the practical and structural advantages, and performance benefits of using engineered wood products as wall framing members