Until recently, helipads consisted of little more than slabs of concrete with windsocks to indicate wind direction. State-of-the-art helipad designs now include advanced features for safety, visibility, drainage, environmental sustainability, and aesthetics.
This course describes what makes up a high-performing helipad and the benefits an intelligent specification brings to those in the air and those on the ground who are involved in emergency helicopter transport of patients.
- Discuss the challenges of emergency helicopter landings on a hospital site.
- Define the features of a state-of-the-art helipad.
- Understand the importance of a snow and ice melting system for a helipad.
- Describe the value and features of a green helipad design.
- Identify FAA and Trauma Level 1 trauma center requirements for helipads.