This article originally appeared in the April 2015 issue of ARCHITECT magazine.
Commercial roofs are often thought of a simple necessity and are hardly ever given an opportunity to be more than a functional part of the structure. However, with a little creative thinking, material selection, and thoughtful design, roofs can accomplish more than simply keeping out the rain.
- Understand the basic components of metal roofing systems
- List the testing and standards requirements for commercial metal roofs
- Identify the energy efficiency and sustainability attributes of a metal roof
- Describe the benefits of alternative uses for flat commercial roofs
- Explain the challenges and solutions to selecting materials that will compliment roof top spaces on commercial buildings