Excessive and unrestricted light from bollards, columns, and post tops can negatively impact people, animals, and the environment. However, fixtures that are designed to Dark Sky specifications can dramatically reduce the amount of sky glow and light pollution while saving energy and mitigating impact on the environment. This learning unit will explore the concept of Dark Sky and how architects can specify luminaires to help reduce light pollution and encourage a healthier and more responsible approach to lighting.
- Explain what the Dark Sky means and how we are losing it.
- Describe how the loss of dark skies impacts humans, animals, and the environment.
- Identify Dark Sky Friendly features in a luminaire.
- List dark sky organizations, programs, and regulations that impact the design of lighting for homes and communities.
- Discuss the importance of incorporating Dark Sky Friendly design into modern lighting.