This course will help educate the architect about alternative fire-rated window, door, and vision or glass wall materials currently available in commercial construction. The learning unit will summarize the history of this evolution and compare some of the different designs that are available to the architect today. It will also explore examples of how fire-rated aluminum glazing systems can be incorporated while addressing some of the common code considerations.
- Discuss the challenges of meeting both desired design elements and fire safety concerns
- Describe the evolution of fire-rated aluminum glazing systems
- Define the fire-rating standards and testing protocol for commercial doors and windows
- Describe the types of fire-rated aluminum glazing systems
- Identify points to consider when choosing a fire-rated glazing system